Tuesday, March 31, 2009

More Nepal Pictures!

More Pictures!




Ok so when I got sick our guide Tirtha couldn't leave me alone to be sick AND find my way the other way around the Annapurna circuit to meet up with the group on the other side of Throng-La pass, so he let one of the porters to stay with me and be my guide. This is Raz, he was my porter and guide when I got sick. He made sure I ate food and drank lots of water and tea so that I would get better. He also helped me get a lot of taxi's, jeeps and buses over the period of about 5 days so that we could be reunited with our group. I took more than two days to recover and by that time the group was too far ahead and I wouldnt have been able to catch up (there were no roads that far in so I couldnt catch a jeep to meet up with them) so I had to backtrack and drive up the part of the circuit we would be finishing on. Wow that was a long one. So anyways, this is Raz and I with one of the many jeeps we had to take, the Chicken Jeep to be exact, but that story is for another entry.




With the group again! Well this is part of the group at least. We met in a town called Muktinath, which is actually a famous sight for those of you who have some knowledge of world religions. This town contains a holy pilgrimage sight for both Hindu's and Buddhistsm the erternal flame and the 108 water spouts. Look it up, its actually really interesting.



Two of our porters being silly!




Thats me and the Himalayas, they're even bigger than Spring Hill!





This is my new boyfriend, it was the nost ring that got me.







The woman in the area all loom and its so beautiful, so I bought a bunch, and asked if it was alright if I took a picture with her so I can remember who made them





Do I really need to explain the excitement of this photo?! And no it's not that fact that they have internet...and therefore electricity...


Whoever can tell me the total and comlete excitement of this photo will get a prize. And no, no one from the hike that may be reading this is allowed to guess because they were there and witnessed my excitement. Hint: there are more than one.



Awesome...I like stuff...




Pierre my Mom and I (oh, and Chloe's hat!) taking a break!





Here's some more of the group!




This day started off as a blur and ended as a blur. It was approximatly 9 hours up-hill. This is what we climbed in the first quarter of the day. It took approximatly two hours...because we had to go up a switchback of stairs...stone ones that had been hand-cut and laid...




For example see above...and below


This was one of that hardest days for me, but it was totaly worth it and even enjoyable. If you know the saying "What goes up, must come down", you'll know that this usually applies to everything...including hills/mountains/going up stairs...that kind of thing. So yes, one day we went up, the next day we went down. The down was a little more terrifying at some places because it was a staircase cut into what is as close to a cliff as you can get without it being a cliff. So another few hours of a handcut staircase switchback was the next days adventure. But I didnt get a picture of that. The morning of that downhill day actually started with a 4:30 wake up call to climb another hill and watch the sunrise...as if we werent at a high enough altitude already.



And so a bunch of us got up to climb Poon Hill. This being an optional sidetrip a few people decided to sleep in. Me not being the most morning of people decided to do it anyways and sacrifice my sleep, how could I not after being sick and missing part of the trek. So this is Tyler and I infront of the sign, just to prove we had done it...oh yeah and there was snow...


And here is the crew that decided to climb, and the mountains in the background of course.


Tirtha and his new wives



I dont know if you'll believe me but it's true. On the same day we climbed Pool Hill and walked down the switchback cliff stairs, we also walked through a rainforest with moss everywhere and a beautiful river, and it was really hot!




A photo that came much to soon, the end of our trip!

So I have some stories to share with everyone but that just took a lot of time! So I will share them soon! I hope you enjoyed those! There may even be more to come because my mom had a camera as well so there might be some of hers coming up on here as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment